Saturday, August 1, 2009

Shimla and Points South

I finished my teaching last week. It was hard saying goodbye to my students on all levels. We had a good relationship (I'm thinking about teaching adults again someday). Although I was only there for a month, they made good progress in their English. They were sad to see me go and offered me many kartas (white scarves used for blessings) on my last days with them.

My conversation class took on an environmental project based on one day's topic of conversation. I'd been reluctant to bring up the trash and litter problem in McL, thinking they didn't notice it. We spent a day talking about it and sure enough, everyone said it was a HUGE problem for them personally. They talked about the impact on environment, animals, people and general health.

From that talk, I arranged to have someone from the Environment Section of the TSO (Tibetan Settlement Office) come to class and give a talk about Waste Management. The students, at her urging (and mine, you know how I can be), decided to write a letter to the TSO and Indian Municipality, explaining their postition, its impact and their very viable solutions.

This was a group project with a double objective for me. On an academic level, the letter was good instruction in writing a business letter. On another level, it gave these folks who've been exiled from their homes for many years and are living in a country not their own, a chance to realize that they still a voice and it's okay for them to express themselves (The Chinese government has tried to squash any self-expression Tibetans might have had in the name of a "Cultural Revolution.")

I then went sleuthing around McL for a few places that might be interested in publishing the letter. The Tibet Post (I included the website in my last post), an online newspaper, was interested and interviewed me for a feature article that was supposed to be published in last Wednesday's edition. Another local magazine, Contact, was also willing to publish the letter in their September issue. The TSO is going to publish a response to our letter also. I'm pleased to know that the students have made an impact in the community at large.

They were amazed to realize that they had the power to do so, I think. Everyone received a copy of the letter for their CV's. It was lovely to see them so involved and excited. Generally, there can be a demeanor of sadness and depression for many of them in this day-to-day existence without family around. I was glad to have an opportunity to change that for them, if even for a little while.

Please check out the website and look for our article under Features/Science and Environment. I haven't had a chance to do so yet, but hope to get to it tonight. I'm proud of them and miss them dearly.


This photo is the day Tenzin Choedin came in to speak about Waste Management.


Lobsang making a point about the trash and litter problem in McLeod Ganj and the personal responsibility each person must take to alleviate the problem.

The class taking notes during Tenzin's talk. Note the condition of the classroom. At best, it's a place to get out of the monsoon rain, but there's little else to worth mentioning.


Everyone's pretty serious about the problem of waste in town. Most of the Tibetans live in Amdo Village, a small community at the edge of town. There is a bridge that has been used for years as an illegal dump site. It's ghastly, as you can see from the photo below. Partly as a result of our letter, a "dustbin" (dumpster) will be placed near the bridge to alleviate this situation.

This photo shows about half of the conversation class that created the letter to the TSO. On any given day, due to weather, illness, monastery duties, etc., students may not show up. On other days, the room is too small for everyone to fit.
A small barn and its occupants in Amdo village. Most of the cows roam free, however, this one seems to be well housed while his feathered friends outside are free to roam the yard.
The day I left McL was a sad for me, indeed. As the morning light came into the sky, I'm waiting at the bus stand for the bus to Mandi to come along. Taxi drivers are waiting for the buses to arrive so they can vie for passengers needing rides to hotels and guesthouses. I'm standing there amidst the gloom (both inside and out) and suddenly I see the head lama at the Gyuto Monastery where I taught the monks each evening. He was just out "wandering," as he explained. He stood patiently with me, not talking, just standing, until my bus came. His presence was very calming for me in these last minutes in a place I'd grown to love in my short stay there.


The only other people around, besides the taxi drivers at that early morning hour were these sad men sleeping in the bus station. One was sleeping in a sitting position on the bench as well. Sad, but true, there are many homeless people in India.

I went from McLeod Ganj to Mandi, a town south by five hours (the bus trip actually took seven, but who's counting??). This photo is the Mandi bus station, a wild chaotic place with buses and people all vying for places in the narrow stip of uneven ground that serves as the loading and unloading area.

A dhaba along the way. This is like a service area along the highway, except there are no highways here and there's no fuel stops during the trip, either. Using the "toilet" costs Rs 2/- and you can buy food and snacks, too.
These lovely ladies are waiting for another bus as we pass. We did not stop for them, but they smiled and waved anyway. People are friendly here, once they understand your "foreignness." Everyone likes to laugh, especially at my lack of understanding, but then go out of their way to help me.


Time to sign off for now. Will write more in the next few days. I'm heading to Chandigarh, in Punjab, where the heat will be on. Hopefully, there won't be as many hills to climb. I'm looking forward to some level walking for a change. Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment